January 24th, 2013
You will need:
1.Beat the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Add the egg and continue to beat. Sift in the flour then add the vanilla essence and fold through to form a dough.
2. Gently knead the dough until smooth then chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3. Remove the dough from the fridge and roll out until 4mm.
4. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (or 160 degrees for fan assisted ovens). Line two baking trays with baking paper.
5. Use your heart shaped cookie cutter to cut biscuits from the dough. Arrange on the baking trays and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the trays for a couple of minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. To make the icing combine the icing sugar, milk and food colouring in a bowl until smooth. Carefully outline the biscuits and then flood the middle.
So I decided on cookies, everyone loves a biscuit. What with the coffee machine I got him for Christmas he can now sit down with a steaming cappuccino and a good cookie :) good times! I think they have come out pretty damn good considering I’ve never made cookies before, if I do say so myself. As you can see, I’m not yet the professional I aspire to be at flooding icing. I’ve added light blue icing to make it more manly than the pink but obviously you could do pink or red if you wanted to go for traditional colours. Just add pink/red food colouring instead of the blue.
This recipe is just as yummy and fail safe as my Pisachio Loaf Cake!